[AMRadio] Search for a valiant/ Don't Be Swayed

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Fri Apr 26 09:34:24 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-26, at 9:28 AM, whitebear1122 at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi Jerry, Good luck with your Valiant search and don't be swayed by all the "get something else" talk :)   The Valiant is a wonderful transmitter, looks fabulous, well styled, works great, and is easy for the most part to work on .  I bought mine around 1996 and I've been using it regularly ever since on both AM and CW.  I can get 125 watts out on AM all day long.   Half the fun of a QSO is just using the equipment.
>
> I still remember the awe I felt when I first got the Valiant, it still had the 866 mercury vapor rectifiers in it, and when I hit the PTT switch, there was a bright blue glow coming from the cabinet holes, lighting up that side of the room.  It was incredible.

Hi Jerry & Scott,

Back in 1973 I had a Johnson Ranger-1---but a good friend of mine had a Valiant-1...

Boy, was I ever IMPRESSED with that thing! Where my puny Ranger had but one, single 6146, the Valiant had---if memory serves me well---no less than FIVE of those jugs, i.e. two in the final RF PA stage, & I believe three in the modulator...?

No matter: I was just blown away by the sheer potential of that hulky big brother to my rig!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ