[AMRadio] Search for a valiant/ Don't Be Swayed

W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:45:22 EDT 2013

Two Modulator tubes, and three finals in the Valiant.  I have one I got
about 1993 that I am going to resurrect very soon.  I enjoyed using it.
Audio may not be the best in the world, but I won't use it in place of a BC
transmitter.  Don't use the "Clipper", or remove (bypass) it from the
circuit altogether.  I removed mine.

Brian / w5ami

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Eddy Swynar <deswynar at xplornet.ca> wrote:

> On 2013-04-26, at 9:28 AM, whitebear1122 at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Hi Jerry, Good luck with your Valiant search and don't be swayed by all
> the "get something else" talk :)   The Valiant is a wonderful transmitter,
> looks fabulous, well styled, works great, and is easy for the most part to
> work on .  I bought mine around 1996 and I've been using it regularly ever
> since on both AM and CW.  I can get 125 watts out on AM all day long.
> Half the fun of a QSO is just using the equipment.
> >
> > I still remember the awe I felt when I first got the Valiant, it still
> had the 866 mercury vapor rectifiers in it, and when I hit the PTT switch,
> there was a bright blue glow coming from the cabinet holes, lighting up
> that side of the room.  It was incredible.
> >

> Hi Jerry & Scott,
>
> Back in 1973 I had a Johnson Ranger-1---but a good friend of mine had a
> Valiant-1...
>
> Boy, was I ever IMPRESSED with that thing! Where my puny Ranger had but
> one, single 6146, the Valiant had---if memory serves me well---no less than
> FIVE of those jugs, i.e. two in the final RF PA stage, & I believe three in
> the modulator...?
>
> No matter: I was just blown away by the sheer potential of that hulky big
> brother to my rig!
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

"Who feeds a hungry animal feeds his own soul" - Charles Chaplin