[AMRadio] Fragile

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 10:25:04 EST 2013

Some say that such markings simply give the handlers a bulls eye to aim
for.

I've had very good luck with both USPS and UPS in both shipping and
receiving radio gear. A few months back I shipped a R-388 to a gent in the
UK via Priority International for right around $200. $1000 less than UPS
and $1300 less than FedWrex, and it arrived quickly and in fine shape. Of
course, proper packing helps.

I've posted about this before, in my case FedWrex, who others swear by, is
the exception as they managed to smash a 45 lb transformer (no tubes or
moving parts) that was mounted on a thick piece of plywood, surrounded with
foam in a heavy duty box, then packed again in another box surrounded by
thick, solid foam blocks & sheets. And it only had to travel roughly 200
miles, from Maine to VT. I spoke with someone familiar with their hub
procedures and he told me that certain people (he mentioned women but I
suspect men too) who don't like 'heavy' packages - in this case, around
50-55 lbs total - will shove, slide, or otherwise drop them to the floor,
then kick & slide them to where ever they need to go. When I received it
the box was filthy and looked more like a soccer ball. One of the cast iron
end frames was actually snapped clean through along with other minor
damage. I've also had issues with what the FedWrex calculator says for a
price vs what they actually charge.

The most important thing to keep in mind when shipping, no matter who you
use, is that their job is to move as many packages as fast as possible.
That's how they make money and stay in business. Not by babysitting each
package from point A to point B. They do have people who will do this. I
believe they're called couriers, and they're not cheap. You get what you
pay for. Virtually all shippers have clear instructions on what is expected
for packaging up front. I've had some pretty poorly-packed items still
arrive intact, amazingly. Between cheap, lazy and/or illiterate customers
and inconsiderate, irresponsible, and downright corrupt handlers (plenty of
youtube videos of UPS, FedEx, USPS carriers throwing parcels over walls,
fences, etc), things are bound to go wrong. Best we can do is try to
minimize it. When it's your turn, no sticker is going to help.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4