[AMRadio] Fragile

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 19:00:41 EST 2013

That's my point, Bry - it doesn't matter who you use, it's only a question
of when. If you ship enough stuff, it's just a matter of time until they
get you. I've received plenty of items from FedWrex that survived just
fine. My mod transformer was packed well enough to survive transport under
typical/usual handling. It was *clearly* mistreated as the packaging
showed. There were no corners left on the box and it was covered with a
gritty gray crud from being slid and kicked across a concrete floor. Looked
like it had been dragged behind a truck down one of the typically-poor VT
roads. That's the only item I've ever had really trashed that was packed
properly.

As a comparison, I received a radio sent from California, across the entire
country, with barely any packing. There were a few (as in 4-5) flattened
wads of newspaper inside and some kind of foam rubber children's blocks
about 1/2 inch thick, held in a line by a piece of duct tape. When I got
the box it rattled and clanked, and the radio slid around inside. Expected
the worse, was amazed to see only a mobile mounting bracket missing its
bolt on one side and flopping around. No other damage. It came via USPS and
what's more amazing - it was packed by a commercial packing house, though
clearly not a name-brand place. More like Joe's Brand X Shipping. Worst
packing job ever and it survived nearly unscathed.

This is why I referred to having had 'good luck' with UPS and USPS so far,
because a lot of it is luck. Proper packing improves the chances a lot, but
anything can be destroyed with a little effort. With all the shipping I've
done and received over the years, I've been very lucky. Then again, not all
the shipping folks are stupid gorilla types, which helps.

For the most part, if you pack well and keep in mind the fact that the
shipper is a shipper, not a babysitter, you'll make out well. When the item
being shipped to you is rare or otherwise important and you're not
absolutely comfortable with the seller's abilities, it pays to send along
your own container with any needed materials, instructions, etc. I've done
this too, it was well worth the extra time, effort, and minimal expense
(compared to replacing it).

That's something that always baffled me. Someone will search high and low
to find an item, pay a lot for it, then insist on cutting corners with
shipping. I don't want to pay unnecessarily high costs either, but I also
want the item to arrive intact.

~ Todd/KAQ