[AMRadio] Fastenal shipping

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Dec 1 23:00:10 EST 2013

So it was carried to the store nearest the destination by the Fastenal
trucks they use to deliver internal orders to the store?

One other incidental piece of information.  The "insurance" provided by the
freight companies is not truly insurance in the traditional form.  They
provide damage or loss coverage based on the weight of the item and that
amount is very low.

They are bound by the rules of the ICC like household movers.  The
additional coverage they sell you is above and beyond that basic coverage
and is also governed by the same rules.  Loss or damage coverage is a big
money maker for them for the lose or damage few packages compared to the
volume they carry.  The whole thing can get pretty sticky.

Any contract shipper that accepts UPS or FedEx packages may provide
traditional insurance, but be sure and ask them before you count on that.
Sometimes they simply send the package and pay you for any damage out of
their pocket.  That is rare, most of them have a insurance policy with an
insurance company for their work and transit of the package.

There are insurance companies independent of shippers that will sell per
item policies or provide a yearly policy and the premium is usually cheaper
than buying from coverage from the shipper if you send a lot of packages.

No matter who provides the coverage, if you receive a damaged piece, keep
the items and packing materials for inspection.  Sometimes with expensive
equipment they will want to see that residue before they pay, then many
times they will refuse because of poor packing.  That has been my
experience.

Today UPS and FedEx have contracts with large shippers which provides no
coverage at all.  Those shippers simply replace any damaged or missing items
in exchange for very low rate.  Then it repair or replacement depends
entirely on the seller.

Jim
W5JO