Mike Sawyer w3slk at verizon.net
Thu Dec 12 09:14:43 EST 2013

I can appreciate your desire to run plate modulation. An Apache with the
proper audio mods is very nice sounding and can be a pleasure to listen to.
However, I question the use of the SB-220. I just do not think it is a
practical implement to use and as you noted, placing undue stress on its
rather limited power supply. The difference between 100W and 200W will not
make much of a dent during 'battle conditions.' I would suggest building a
simple HVPS, modulator, and RF deck with something like an 833 modulated by
a pair of 810's and using the Apache as an exciter. I know that is more
complex than what you are looking for but you may end up saving money by not
ruining your Heathkit amp. I see too many SB-220 carcasses on that e-joint.
Just my grid bias worth.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK