[AMRadio] Pot cleaning 2 cents

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 09:37:20 EST 2013

I'm sure WD40 does a good job, but it does contain a chemical such that, if you are into good fishing reels or guns, you won't use it on them, at least without flushing it out afterwords.  I was told the cutting agent in it is citric acid.  The key to cleaning the pot though is not just a squirt, but a flow as you manipulate the control to wash out all the crud.  I used to use Quietrol with an eyedropper and those controls stayed clean. Repeller tuning pots on a klystron really needed to be smooth to find that sweet spot.  Of course, it worked so well, it had to be banned by the EPA, think it had carbon tet in it.  De-OX-It and Cramolin are the same color as Quietrol and sort of smell the same, but not as good.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC