[AMRadio] trouble Brewing in AM Window

Rick Poole WA1RKT wa1rkt at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 15:17:43 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "KA1KAQ Todd" <ka1kaq at gmail.com>

>> Seems the opposite is true: intentional interference to AM stations
>> was FAR worse when the code requirement was in place... been a ham
>> for just over 30 years but I've heard intentional interference
>> since Day 1 and even well before. It was far worse in the 80s-90s
>> toward AM and even worse in the 60s-70s.  AM has gained in popularity
>> a lot over the last decade-plus, and interference issues are a
>> fraction of what they once were.

Good afternoon, Todd.

I will pass the half-century mark in ham radio in a few months and with all due respect I have to ask myself in what universe you practiced the amateur radio hobby over the last 30 years... it sure wasn't the same universe I've been in.

It's certainly true that the elimination of the code requirement did not, in and of itself, result in a large upsurge in poor operation; that was the result of the general dumbing-down of the amateur radio knowledge requirements along with the reduction in code speed to 5 WPM for all classes.  Eliminating the code altogether was just the icing on the cake.  But before the dumbing-down of amateur licensing requirements ... speaking of amateur operating practices in general and not solely AM vs SSB ... it was relatively rare to hear the kind of nonsense I can hear every day on 14.313 and 3.938 and 3.910 and places like that.  And I never heard people saying "negatory" or "seventy-thirds" or telling me that my signal is "nine over" (????) or that their "personal" is Joe or any of the rest of the 11-meter babble that's commonplace on the amateur bands today.  I have many acquaintances, some of whom are Extras, who have no idea how to tune an antenna or how NVIS works or what a Wouff Hong or a Rettysnitch or an Elmer are or the reason why you can talk 1000 miles away on 20 meters but you can't talk 100 miles away, who spell "ham" in all caps like "HAM" as though it was some kind of an acronym, and who insist on using their CB "handles" on 2MFM in place of their real names.

You can say that AM vs SSB interference issues are a fraction of what they once were and I can't prove you wrong... all I can say is, as I said, you must surely have been operating in a different universe from the one I've operated in for the last 50 years.

Rick WA1RKT
Londonderry, NH
DX-100 / HQ-180A / 51J-4