[AMRadio] Trouble Brewing in AM Window

K5MYJ macklinbob at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 16:40:54 EST 2013

I remember when SSB came on the scene in the late 50's. As Don commented it
was the guys with DEEP POCKETS that first bought this stuff.

As I remember the activity in the 50's, 60's, and 70's SSB was a good idea
because of the level of activity. I can remember wall to wall signals on the
phone bands every night and weekend days. SSB made sense. No heterodynes
like with AM.

Bu today it seems there is much less activity so AM should not be a problem.
It seems to me that AM could use all the space between 3850 and 3900 and the
SSB people would have the rest of the 75M phone segment.

Ten years ago I did see 75M phone (both AM an SSB) on the gear I have. But
now I seldom hear anything on 75M.

The problem as I see it is there are just a bunch of jerks out there that
want to drive AM away.

The main thing I like about AM is the tuning is not critical like it is with
SSB. You can have a round table and everyone does not have to be precisely
on the same frequency. With SSB they just speak three words and stop before
you have time to fine tune them. And no two people in the group will be on
the same frequency.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.