[AMRadio] AM Rally

Steve WA1QIX wa1qix at piesky.com
Fri Dec 13 09:10:54 EST 2013

There are two AM "contests" that occur during
this time of year.  The "Heavy Metal Rally",
which is primarily directed at tube-only
equipment, and the more general "AM Rally" (or AM
Transmitter Rally) for all AM stations,
regardless of how their signals are
generated.  They have somewhat different
purposes, although it would be easy (and
preferable, in my opinion) to have one big AM event.

The AM Transmitter Rally has enjoyed a reasonably
large participation in the past few years, with
over 500  AM stations logged in just one event
over one weekend !!  Hopefully, we can achieve
good participation again this year.   Numbers
like that are very important to show the ARRL and
the FCC that AM is definitely a vibrant, living mode.

The AM Transmitter Rally recognizes winners in
various transmitter categories (and an overall
1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well).  This is nice
because it shows more clearly what we are really
using on AM, and that AM is a diverse mode with
folks using all sorts of equipment.
Free and easy to use logging software is also
provided for the event and the results are
tabulated and reported in great detail.

The main difference the events is that the Heavy
Metal Rally is primarily an event highlighting
all-tube gear, and in fact preferential scoring
is given to operators using tube equipment (1
extra point per contact made using tube equipment
that also qualifies as heavy metal (250 watts or 250 pounds).

The date for the AM Transmitter Rally has not as
of yet been determined, but will most likely be in late January.

Regards,

Steve