[AMRadio] WD-40 Experience

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Fri Dec 13 11:40:34 EST 2013

On 12/13/2013 8:58 AM, Mike Sawyer wrote:
> I think what folks need to know is that any kind of petrol-based lubricant, is going to be an attractant for dust, debris, etc.
Exactly right,  Mike.    Folks seem to prefer bringing up the WD40 topic
than just doing a little homework, or we'd all know that by now.   As
the MSDS shows, the  main ingredient (51%) in WD40 is Stoddard solvent,
which is also known as "white spirit" or "mineral spirit" - the same
stuff used to clean paint brushes that you can buy at the hardware
store.   About 25% of each can is the LP gas used as a propellant, and
about 15% is Mineral oil.   (Not "fish oil" contrary to internet
rumors).    Mineral oil is a light lubricating oil derived from
non-vegetable sources (e.g. petroleum) - baby oil is mineral oil with
some perfume and stuff added.

I look at WD40 as basically "spray oil", and there are plenty of horror
stories about what happens when people forget about the "oil" part.
So it's pretty simple - does your cleaning or restoration action require
a solvent that includes oil, or not?   It's pretty easy to just use
mineral spirits when that's what I think is needed, or mineral oil where
that's appropriate.   WD40 combines the two and that's not always what
you want.

73, Bob W9RAN