[AMRadio] WRL Globe king FS on QTH

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Sat Dec 14 16:13:57 EST 2013

On 12/14/2013 2:56 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
> I own a GK-500C.  The Viking 500 is a better transmitter.
Guess you'd have to define "better".    A very basic design, my GK 500
is reliable and solid as a rock.  But being a WRL product, the quality
of some OEM components may be questionable.   My main power transformer
is long-gone with a Peter Dahl in it's place,  and others have had to
replace the Couplates used in the audio stages, perhaps another
cost-saving measure.   It's easy to pull a deck out to work on if needed
and interconnects are short and simple.

My Johnson 500 renovation has taken so long it's got it's own bench.
It may be unique to my unit, but ALL the original iron has been
replaced, and I'm still not sure the slow-release relay is going to work
reliably.   The power switching is complicated, the separate power
supply/modulator requires two multiconductor cables plus three HV wires
where Johnson should be ashamed for using ordinary pin type connectors
rather than the proper and safe Millen type HV connectors as used on the
Globe King.   All this has been discussed in various restoration articles.

In the end the GK has 160 and the 500 doesn't, but it will fit on your
desk easier.     Both sound terrific on the air and are fine
transmitters, but which is "better"...we report, you decide.

73. Bob W9RAN