[AMRadio] WRL Globe king FS on QTH

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Dec 14 19:04:55 EST 2013

If I am not mistaken the Johnson 500 came along much later than the GK 500.
Each has its design points and price points.  Don't recall the price of the
500 but the 500A was $675 or 36 per month on Leo's payment plan in 1956, a
payment plan is something Johnson did not have.  The later versions of the
GK 500 cost a bit more because they had a VFO included.

This is sort of like comparing apples and oranges, both are fruit but one is
much different than the other.  Doesn't the Johnson 500 run carrier and one
sideband while the GK 500 uses both sidebands with the carrier?  I forget.
What ever, you can find the diagrams for each section of the GK 500 in any
old ARRL handbook.  Easy to repair.  But I must say, I don't, nor never,
had a Johnson 500 but I know they both sound good on the air to my old ears.

Jim
W5JO