[AMRadio] Trouble brewing in the AM Window (or "Ghetto" if youprefer)

billy kd5zla at swbell.net
Sun Dec 15 13:48:03 EST 2013

Well now that the fcc has no moneys we all need to look back to when
they did 1960 or so fcc made the 11 meter band have a license they lost
their money 1979 and 11 meter license went away and the 11 meter band
went to hell. Now that they do not have money they sell broadcast
frequencies for 10's of thousands of dollars each. So they are going to
say well all this fighting going on we can stop it all and not have to
worry about it sell off the amateur bands. Let them have 28Mhz and up.
we will sell. So now what will everyone do? The appliance operators with
big bucks have 30 to 50 grand in junk that cannot be used. Then there
are the ones of us that are on fixed income and save pennies to get the
stuff we have or build it our selves. Who is it going to hurt the most?
The ARRL is doing one thing and that is going for what is going to make
them the most money. You look back what did they do for the hams that
cannot put up antennas OH we got pw1 but that did nothing to help. Then
BPL it was the hams that fought to kill that. So you say that the ARRL
is fighting for us on filling about the trouble. Yes they did this and
they look at it like this. We fill on this and how many more will join
ARRL or renew their membership. But in the end it is all going to be
what the fcc wants to do and we all need to think about what we all can
do to better ourselves. So we look at AM 375 watts at 100 % modulation
gives 1500 watts pep good yes and no AM is 4Khz on each side of the main
carrier  4 khz up and 4 khz down in this you are only getting a true 500
watts on the main carrier frequency and the same 1500 watts pep of power
on SSB can only be 3 khz wide so the 1005 watts  going to the carrier
frequency. So in this if both AM and SSB are running full power on the
same frequency you will never hear the AM. So I see it like this why try
to fight a fight you will never win. But this is my 2 cents.

Billy
W5WEJ