[AMRadio] Trouble brewing in the AM Window (or "Ghetto" if youprefer)

Brett Gazdzinski b.gaz at comcast.net
Sun Dec 15 14:18:07 EST 2013

It does not help that people are often 2 or 3 Kc off frequency, towards the
side where the other signal is.
You have guys with low audio, too much audio, not zero beat, really wide
signals.

Many have vintage receivers with poor passbands, while the ssb guys are a
tight 2.8 Khz, they can get close and not be bothered, and NOT KNOW they are
in the AM passband. After all, many have no idea how radio works, or how bad
old gear was/is.

I listen to the ssb guys on my sdr, they can be well within an AM signal and
not be bothered by it at all.
So I always cut everyone some slack.
There really is a lot of hate on 80 meters.
I will not add to it. I might tell someone they are off frequency, or wide,
or too close maybe, but no hate or blame is involved.

If someone wants to use a bunch of electricity, burn up their tubes, and
spend a lot of their time jamming, that is ok with me, karma you know, and I
will just listen on the other sideband.

I used to have a kws-1 with the one sideband and carrier, and yes, it
sounded bad, partly because it was an ssb radio.
Very nicely built with quality components, but you have to tune everything
when you change frequency.

Brett
N2DTS