[AMRadio] Trouble brewing in the AM Window (or "Ghetto"

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Dec 15 23:12:35 EST 2013

>>From: billy <kd5zla at swbell.net>

So we look at AM 375 watts at 100 % modulation
gives 1500 watts pep good yes and no AM is 4Khz on each side of the main
carrier  4 khz up and 4 khz down in this you are only getting a true 500
watts on the main carrier frequency and the same 1500 watts pep of power
on SSB can only be 3 khz wide so the 1005 watts  going to the carrier
frequency. So in this if both AM and SSB are running full power on the
same frequency you will never hear the AM. So I see it like this why try
to fight a fight you will never win. But this is my 2 cents.

Billy
W5WEJ>>

I wish AMers would quit talking up that p.e.p. nonsense.  The power of an AM
transmitter should be expressed in terms of CARRIER power. P.e.p. is
SLOPBUCKET terminology. In spite of the bogus FCC ruling, I'd bet that fewer
than 10% of the hams on the air to-day could accurately determine their
actual p.e.p. any closer than plus or minus 20% if even that, using Hammy
Hambone "wattmeters" that are not watt-meters at all but RF voltmeters, with
a printed scale configured to register watts when working into a perfectly
matched, purely resistive, non-reactive 50-ohm load, a rare bird (no pun
intended) that exists in very few amateur radio antenna installations.

It irritates me to no end when I hear someone on AM describing their
station, and they go on to say they are running X number of watts of carrier
and "peaking up to" Y number of watts. Why not just say you are running X
number of watts and peaking 100% modulation (or whatever percentage the
transmitter is  capable of)?

Don k4kyv

---