[AMRadio] WRL Globe king FS on QTH

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 11:01:01 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Eric Nelson <wb2cau at gmail.com> wrote:

> In Johnson-land, the Invader and Invader 2000 had fake AM too that sounded
> soooo bad.  Just as bad as the KWS-1 on AM.

Couple things to keep in mind. First, the KWS-1 was meant primarily as a
SSB transmitter, anything else was an afterthought or, at the very least,
secondary to the primary mode. Same goes for the 75A-4 receiver which some
folks don't care for. AM certainly wasn't their main concern when designing
these rigs, the upcoming mode of SSB was.

Second, Collins amateur gear was intended for communications, hence the
communications-quality sound. Even the KW-1 which initially sounded pretty
nice in stock form, was 'tightened up' about halfway through production to
give the audio more punch for breaking pileups and getting through the
noise.

Larry/K3JRR runs a KWS-1 from time to time on AM and sounds pretty good
with it. Certainly not broadcast quality, or anything approaching "pleasing
to the ear", but his signal is clean and perfectly readable. He has it
dialed in well, as I've heard others that sound more ragged.

Any Globe King I've heard sounded pretty nice, if a little restricted.
Someone mentioned changing out the couplates to improve the audio slightly,
no idea as I'm not a WRL user. But I've always liked the overall size,
shape, and layout of the GKs. Nice looking transmitters. I've got a NOS
cabinet for one here but it's never sprouted the needed decks.

BTW Eric, I should get that manual out to you by this weekend. Got a pile
of stuff waiting here to go out, just been busy with everything else.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4