[AMRadio] Dealing with Ice on BC Antennas

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 16 12:03:08 EST 2013

I know that a lot of the list participants are BC engineers of one stripe or another. Talk about lots of RF has led me to wonder how broadcast transmitters deal with ice accumulation on antennas. Ice certainly detunes mine, making it electrically longer. I can, of course, simply twiddle a knob or two on matching network and get past the problem, but big transmitters aren't so agile nor are they particularly forgiving. Dealing with so much RF is a completely different world from what most of us non-BC engineer types will ever experience. How is this sort of thing handled?

Kim N5OP