[AMRadio] AM Broadcast Quality

Dave Aabye w4qcu at prodigy.net
Mon Dec 16 15:00:27 EST 2013

 Well said Steve!

________________________________
 From: Steve WA1QIX <wa1qix at piesky.com>
To: "amradio at mailman.qth.net" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AM Broadcast Quality

Well, first, good quality does not necessarily have to be excessively wide
and second, the object may not be simply to communicate.  If that were
the case, we could use our cell phones for a whole lot less money !!

Communication does not necessarily imply poor quality.  In fact, part
of the communication is the actual sound of the person's voice, not
merely what is being said.  So, if that is reproduced in good fidelity,
more is being communicated.

The military is dealing with life-and-death situations, where
getting the message across was (and is) the most important.
Everything else was unimportant.  Ham radio is not like that
most of the time, although we have the ability to quickly go
to max communications effectiveness when needed.

Just my thoughts!

Regards,  Steve