[AMRadio] AM Broadcast Quality

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 15:14:16 EST 2013

I agree, Bill.  As a former broadcaster, I don't recall any of the young sweet things calling in to say how  great the modulation was, how hearing broadcast quality substituted for eyeball  communication after my on air shift was over.

What broadcast quality did was generate more adjacent interference and splatter. Listen to 3.885 at night and enjoy the retired broadcast transmitters on 3.880 and 3.885 that make both frequencies sound like a bunch of monkeys whose cages are too close together.

Back in the late 1950s and 1960s 40 meters was crowded with AM signals but we could co-exist and QSO even with the low tech receivers of the day. Of course, I suspect that the AM EGOS weren't as big and broad back then. But, I still enjoy AM. 73, John, K5PGW