[AMRadio] Dealing with Ice on BC Antennas

Bill Guyger bguyger at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 23:03:30 EST 2013

We have two full class C FM's (100,000 W. ERP unlimited height -1600' in both cases) one on a broadband Panel Antenna that the heavy icing we just went through in Dallas didn't effect a bit. The other is on an ERI "Roto Tiller" antenna that can not have radomes because of wind loading. I had to back that one down to about 60% power for the duration. We also have a C2 FM (50,000 W. ERP at 500') also with a Roto Tiller that had to be backed down.

We also have 2 directional AM's that showed a drop in Common Point Resistance, from 50 ohms to about 47 ohms but kept right on going with slightly higher CP Current. Our Clear Channel AM (50,000 W. Non Directional) WBAP had no problem whatsoever.

Bill AD5OL