[AMRadio] AM Broadcast Quality

Grant Youngman nq5t at tx.rr.com
Tue Dec 17 14:55:18 EST 2013

I've tried to not weigh in on this most recent of endless threads on the same subject.

No one that I'm aware of has EVER suggested that 20 KHz of AM bandwidth IN A BUSY BAND IS A GOOD THING. Who would?  So why the red herring here?

If the band is empty or dead, and you want to run 10khz of audio, be my guest. If that isn't the case, then do what makes sense.   But that doesn't mean that on all days under all conditions it is necessary to limit to 3khz or sound like you have a sock in your mouth.

I'd rather listen to good quality AM signal occupying band space any day than an over driven over processed contester shot gunning over half a band.  I once heard the Canadian league station doing just that -- apparently during a contest it's ok to turn every control to '10'?

It just takes brains and a bit of common sense to get it right ... not quoting the reg, which leaves the doors open, as it should.

Grant NQ5T (gong back to delete mode on this thread)

Sent from my iPhone