[AMRadio] AM Broadcast Quality

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 12:43:32 EST 2013

I learned a long time ago to not rely on verbal assessments from hams
I'm working with regard to my audio.

Doing so is fraught with all kinds of potential problems.  Of course
it is always nice to get compliments, but:

A lot of hams want to be polite and don't know how to communicate a
negative report and are afraid of offending, so they say, "Sounds
Great!" when it doesn't.

Everyone has their own idea of what good audio is.

Everyone has a different critical ear and tolerance.  Ham A might
think a signal sounds okay but the same signal sounds like c**p to Ham
B.

I've been honest before and said what I thought (hum in the audio
usually) only to have a third party come on frequency to berate me for
being mean, or an audio snob.

I don't have the equipment to do it, but I wish I could record off
air.  Maybe someday I'll get a reel to reel ReVox and play back.

It's important that all phone ops have a way of hearing their signal
off-air and listen for distortion, muffled sound, hum or lack of
balance (only low frequencies or only very high) using diodes or a
wide response receiver.

73

Rob
K5UJ