[AMRadio] AM Broadcast Quality

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:52:29 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM, W2XJ <w2xj at w2xj.net> wrote:
>Taking things back to the original subject, there is obviously a big difference between broadcast quality and communications quality. Most accept >300-3KHz as being communications quality. Many amateur rigs were designed around that concept. This includes the size of the power supply and in >older real AM rigs the modulation iron. The internal processing in most rigs is also communications grade. Rigs like that can only go so far quality wise. >Properly adjusted and operated they are clean and intelligible, though.

True however there's nothing to stop an owner of such equipment from
modifying it to sound better, and that is done quite often.  I have
heard a few DX100s that sounded every bit as good as an old tube
broadcast rig.

> There is also the problem of finding receivers with a wide enough bandwidth to complete the system. An R390 will do it as will some SDR packages >but not a lot of other hardware is out there.

I disagree.  There are a lot of vintage receivers that have a nice
frequency response:  SP200, 400, 600, SX28, AR88/CR88 and I'm probably
forgetting a few--SX25 is another one, maybe the NC183 and a lot of
receivers such as the Collins A-line can be modified with wider
homebrew IF filters.

This kind of work is the essence of ham AM--to purchase and run a few
boxes bone stock and accept their performance is anathema.

73

Rob
K5UJ