[AMRadio] Speech processing technologies and methods?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 12:18:03 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM, FRANK HUGHES hughes <
frsahu0003 at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
> I really like the idea of leaving the 32V-2 alone, and doing another fun
> project to build an exciter for the big amp!

I think you'll really enjoy the 32V as a stand alone, low power station.
You'll also appreciate not having to work on it as often as you would from
pounding on it. You've no doubt noticed that it's a dense package for the
size. There was a price to be paid to had a table top transmitter on such a
'small' (for the day) footprint. That price is related to access, or lack
thereof, to many areas and components.

> I run the 32V-2 on a Variac @ 115vac input, and the 32V-2 lo/hi voltage
> switch is set in  "Low".
> A small fan is installed inside the case next to the 5Z4 and transformer
> that melts, so hopefully this will prolong the 32V-2 life.

Every little bit helps. I don't recall ever seeing a 5Z4 in anything but
metal, so I'm not sure another style exists.

I am planning to buy a Flex 3000 in a couple of months at the Orlando
> Hamfest to play with as a distraction from all the 'anchors.

Been to Hamcation once. Made the mistake of assuming Friday was the bigger
day. Sure was windy!

It's tough to beat a Flex for an out-of-the-box good sounding rig that you
can start enjoying after some basic set up. Perfect for driving your big
amp, too. Once you get that station set, you can move on to building a
plate modulated tube transmitter, maybe even converting a BC transmitter if
that's your thing. I'm an old school tube lover myself but that doesn't
stop me from appreciating how nice some of the newer gear like the Flex or
even Class E rigs can sound.

The main thing is to have fun. The day it's no longer fun is the day to
move on to something else.

~ Todd/KAQ