[AMRadio] Speech processing technologies and methods?

Jay Bromley jayw5jay at cox.net
Fri Dec 20 13:30:21 EST 2013

Hi Don and all,
Another way to unload the D-104 crystal element is to use an FET follower.
If you go to W9AC on QRZ.com scroll down about half way and you can see how
to roll your own.  http://qrz.com/db/W9AC  The FET will multiple the source
gate resistance making a D-104 sound the best it can.  I have stripped out
the stock pre-amps boards before and used Paul's design before with very
good results.  Most of the time the person on the other end will say they
can't believe it is a D-104.  Also notice the extra decoupling along the B+
line.  Even though a FET follower is unity gain, I find many times I can
bypass the first stage of audio lowering hum and noise even more.

If you are not into rolling your own, but can solder up 4 wires, Paul's
daughter is putting out these.  Sort of a way to gain a few buxs while going
to college.  Plus save you from going to Radio Shack and getting all the
answers while shopping for parts that have gone through the roof!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astatic-D104-High-Performance-FET-Amplifier-/2311097
53515?pt=US_CB_Radios&hash=item35cf36faab

The usual disclaimer here guys, no kickbacks, no interest or involvement.
Just good way to make a D-104 sound better, less noise, and with minimum
hassle.

73 de w5jay/jay..