[AMRadio] Dealing with Ice on BC Antennas

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Dec 21 16:14:06 EST 2013

When I was doing engineering at WUVT at Va Tech in the late 1970s, we
had a composite FM transmitter, a Bauer 660 exciter driving a homebrew
4CX300A class C amplifier. I learned a lot about icing and tetrodes
during those few years, as the loading on the antenna would typically
drive the screen current all the way up to trip point, in this case
blowing a fuse in the power supply. Screen current is a very sensitive
indicator of loading on a tetrode. My solution back then was to go up to
the 7th floor rooftop, and whack the mast with a 2 x 4 timber, knocking
the ice off.

Later, when designing FM transmitters for Broadcast Electronics, that
experience was remembered. BE, Collins (now Continental) and Harris all
used tetrodes, while there were some others like CCA, Elcom Bauer, CSI,
etc who used GG triodes. Our automatic power controller was simply a
servo control on the screen power supply primary AC. This would lead to
trouble with a varying load as the transmitter could run into
overcurrent on G2 if not careful. It wasn't a big stretch to design
another feedback path from the reflected power monitor on the rig. This
became VSWR foldback, and of course, we weren't the first to do it as
military and amateur solid state rigs had some rudimentary protection
like this as well.

So the BE FM3.5, 5 and 30 kW at the time had this new feature. We heard
from one station in New Orleans area where a freak ice storm covered
their antennas (no radomes used down there). All their competitors were
tripped off the air, but their 30 kW transmitter just dialed itself back
to a few KW, melted the coating on the elements and came back up to
power, without loosing airtime. We heard feedback from numerous
customers over the winters with similar results.
John
K5PRO