[AMRadio] Audiophiles are sure suckers

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Sun Dec 29 15:04:23 EST 2013

David, et al;

I certainly don't take as such.  Yes, I can envision the accomplishment
and pride that this owner felt.

I simply added my humble opinion.  Believe me, it is indeed humble.
Lord knows how many times I've caught myself making mistakes!

So I definitely get where you speak from.  I've always gone back and
rectified them.  All part and parcel of double checking your work.

Bob - N0DGN

On 12/29/2013 2:46 PM, David Knepper wrote:
> [...]
>
> I doubt that less than 20 percent of the hams today are homebrewing
> their equipment.
>
> Just because I do it or you do it doesn't give us any room to
> criticize others.
>
> My post is not meant to malign you.
>
> David Knepper - W3CRA/W3ST
> Collins Radio Association
> www.collinsra.com
> Join the CRA today
> -----Original Message----- From: rbethman
> Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:39 PM
> To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Audiophiles are sure suckers
>
> Let's just say that we have different views and standards.  That would
> be a normal thing for this list and its members.  I wouldn't expect
> anything less, nor anything different.
>
> Many members of the list either are current professionals or have been.
>
> Putting aside some of the things that many of us *have* seen that wasn't
> done well, this starts to get there.  The wire nut is simply put, bad
> practice under a chassis.
>
> It isn't like another terminal would have over done things.
>
> How about crossed components on a terminal board?  Not exactly great for
> resistors, and not what I'd take for "NEW" manufacture standard.
>
> YMMV, and it is only my $0.02 worth.  I'd certainly not do that level of
> work, nor allow anyone that has worked for me in electronics repair get
> away with.
>
> Bob - N0DGN
>

> On 12/29/2013 2:12 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
>> I checked out the amp.  Sorry, I don't see how you can condemn the
>> solder
>> connections.  I can't see it that clearly, and what I can see doesn't
>> look
>> so bad.  Granted, if he dressed the wires at 90 degree angles it
>> probably
>> would've looked neater, but I've seen many home built projects from hams
>> look worse.  I've even seen commercially built equipment look worse.
>> I see
>> one wire nut and it's probably for the line cord which is not so bad.
>> Bear
>> in mind that his amplifier doesn't have to conform to Navy standards.
>>
>> Eric
>> Sent from my desktop PC
>>
>> -.-
>>
>> -.-
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM, CL in NC <mjcal77 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I peruse ebay looking for electronic odds and ends, i.e. junk, that
>>> will
>>> ship cheaply.  Reading the description of some things is better than
>>> the
>>> funny papers most times.  This item on epay -271353735459 is a HI-FI
>>> audio
>>> amp with glowing description of it's builder.  Look at the under
>>> chassis
>>> view.  A lot of poor soldering, components soldered to wires to
>>> reach where
>>> ever, a wire nut connection, and a big no-no I learned in my Navy
>>> class 42 years ago, putting wires on top of components on terminal