[AMRadio] Audiophiles are sure suckers

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 17:20:40 EST 2013

I guess I am not that picky.  It's probably a lot better than anything
I could build from scratch.

I hate to say it but while I know that leads gathered together into
harness and neatly tied off with waxed string is a prized and admired
mode of construction, I find it irritating and prefer a rats nest.
Why?  Because when all the wires are neatly tied together in a bunch
of 20 or more, fixing the box is a pain in the a**.
I'd rather just look and see where a wire goes right away rather than
trace with an ohm meter.  And if you lose or never had a schematic,
and all the leads are tied and the same color, get on your knees and
start praying.  But if everything is splayed everywhere you have a
much better chance of figuring out what is going on even without a
schematic.  Since I will wind up cutting the ties and separating the
wires anyway, if I have to figure out what's going on, I'd rather just
have the rats nest, because it works, and most of the time the
underside is hidden so who cares.   Now if there are only < 10 leads
all different color insulation that's different but there's always
that one that is a mystery disappearing act in the bunch and you only
find out it was on the opposite side of the bundle when it peeled off
and went through a hole or went behind an oil cap or something leaving
you to wonder where the hell it went and you peering around with
mirrors and cussing -- give me the rats nest.

73

Rob
K5UJ