[AMRadio] Viking Ranger problem

Mike Sawyer w3slk at verizon.net
Tue Dec 31 09:36:42 EST 2013

I think the original Ranger I (ver. 1) is responsible for this issue but I
do not know for sure.  I do know that the big difference between the Ranger
I (ver. 1) and (ver. 2) is indeed the keying circuitry. If memory serves me,
the original version used cathode keying, which was responsible for poor
signal shaping and key clicks used during CW mode. So much was made of this
issue that Johnson actually offered a 'field change kit' which changed it to
a grid-block keying scheme. This was incorporated into version 2. The Ranger
II (silver & grey chassis), I am not familiar with other than it uses
different modulator tubes and has 6M capability on it. I would hope they
made further improvements at that point.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK

I know this is trivial, but like the "antenna tuner" which is mis-named,
lets get the Ranger names straight guys.

There was the Ranger, the Ranger (with version 2 addendums) and the Ranger
II.  Why continue to perpetuate the wrong nomenclature?

I'm interested in this problem bob is having as I have a Ranger on the shelf
doing the very same thing, and I have not gotten around to looking into it.

Happy new years fella's!

ronnie w5sum