[AMRadio] The Ranger Keying Problem

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at comcast.net
Tue Dec 31 10:26:35 EST 2013

I ran an original Ranger, without the grid block keying
circuit, from 1969 through mid 1974.

Not long before I sold it, the vfo began staying keyed as
though I had the zero beat switch turned on. While the final
would not stay keyed in CW, there was some very noticeable
backwave on the signal.

A friend was able to reach an adjustment somewhere inside
the vfo compartment with an insolated alignment tool, and
basically make the same adjustment as was described earlier
for the grid block circuit.

I believe this adjustment was to a coil slug.

The good news is that he did not have to pull the vfo
enclosure in order to do it.

Be sure to use an insolated tool.

Hope this helps.

Mike Duke, K5XU