[AMRadio] B&W 5100

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Jul 1 10:50:49 EDT 2013

The plain 5100 is a bit different.  While the iron is the same, the audio
stages are a bit broader in the 5100.  Not a lot but enough that properly
run will sound better than the B model.   The 5100 does not have the
couplate but rather discreet components and uses .001 coupling caps between
stages.

You can change them to .005 and change the cathode by pass cap on the 6AQ5
to 25 uf.  Those are the mods that Moe, W5KD used in his and everyone raved
about his audio using a EV 638.  The set doesn't need a lot because of the
problems Dave pointed to.

The B model changed to couplates and restricted the bandwidth to comply with
the narrower signal for SSB and the push by the ARRL for narrower
bandwidths.  The cathode resistor in the B model was different in that
cathode circuit as well.

Jim
W5JO