[AMRadio] B&W 5100

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Jul 5 08:53:24 EDT 2013

Rob, my 500A makes about 1100 watts peak power with the stock iron.  The
trick to make it sound good is not try to push them into territory where
they can't go.  I see about 95% negative and 95% or just a bit more positive
modulation out of mine with pretty balanced tonal qualities.

As Don pointed out, remove the couplates then play with the audio stages to
get it to sound the way you want it without overdriving the lower end or
trying to get 125% on the positive, it won't do that.

It makes for good quality communications audio using the crystal element
D104 and people comment that it sounds good.  I have an EV 638 that I put on
it and people said the 104 sounds better as the EV adds a bit too much base
for them.  I gave up and leave the 104 attached, that is when I get on the
air nowadays.

The B&W 5100 doesn't have couplates and can sound good too but just a few
component changes.

73

Jim
W5JO