[AMRadio] Black wrinkle


Mike Sawyer w3slk at verizon.net
Thu Jul 11 15:21:41 EDT 2013



Something different to try. Use a welding rod oven if you have access. The
temp is usually pretty stable.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Black wrinkle


Why is everyone so paranoid about letting their wife know they heated up a
piece of equipment in the oven? Who likely paid for  the stove in the first
place?

I have done that many times, including freshly painted panels, and it never
left a trace of odour in the oven after the object was removed. However, I
prefer to lay a freshly painted panel out in the bright  sun on a warm day,
if the wind is calm enough not to blow trash onto the tacky surface of  the
paint.

I would, however, be careful about with transformer that may drip melted
tar, which can stink up the whole kitchen, or oil that could be toxic. Also,
overheated transformer insulation may give of a strong smell and could be
toxic. If this is something you do frequently and you have the space, a used
kitchen stove with a working oven may be found for just a few bucks at a
second hand store.

A gas oven may not be the best idea for drying out transformers, since water
is a by-product of  the combustion process of both  natural gas and propane,
resulting in high humidity in the heated oven.  An electric oven would be
preferred.


Don k4kyv







More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 23 Nov 2017.