[AMRadio] AMRadio Digest, 8874 Linear Tubes

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun Jul 14 15:33:57 EDT 2013

Scott,

   I have never heard about tubes like the 8874 dropping off power on the higher bands. For sure tubes like the 4D32 do this where a chunk of the oxide cathode comes off and gets caught on the control grid. Here it gets hot, and acts as an emitter of electrons which in effect reduces the grid drive, and therefore the power output suffers. The effect is more pronounced on the higher frequencies. Perhaps the 8873-4-5 series of tubes has a similar problem?

   I asked a wise physicist about the 4D32 problem, and he told me in the early stages it was beneficial to drop the filament voltage about 1/2 volt below 6.3 to lower the cathode temperature.

   For 10M work, a decent antenna and a Ranger is all you need. If the band is open, a Ranger with a directional antenna should be all you need. Boosting the power 6 to 10 db may only help a little when the band is only partly open.

  Can you get on 20M AM? Now here a little power is helpful! There is a group meeting every Monday evening from 6-8PM Eastern Time on 14,330 AM. We usually get 5-10 stations, from the midwest to eastern states. Occasionally we get a west coast station.

Jim
WD5JKO

Message: 2