Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 14:44:30 EDT 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Jim Candela <jcandela at prodigy.net> wrote:

> The trick I find on 75M AM when running lower power is to do so in the
> late afternoon or early evening before the band goes long (gets noisy).
> Also sometimes good results can be had in the morning like 7 to 9 am or so
> after the long hall stuff goes away.

That's true Jim, but Norb had mentioned Friday nights which is why my
comments were based on 'prime time' conditions which include a lot of noise
and interference. Never had trouble being heard with my 32V during the day
on 75 or even into early evening before things got loud.

One important thing is that the "Tall Ships" by virtue of their strong
> carriers can get away with low average modulation, and even poorly
> equalized audio (way too much bass). When receiving these guys as heard
> across the country all that is left is an S9 carrier with only the
> occasional word legible. Then some guy from the same distance with nothing
> more then a DX-100 combined with a D-104, and the copy is 100X better
> despite the 6DB reduction in carrier strength.

Nothing is more frustrating than to have someone coming in at a level of S9
or even +10 and only get 60% of what they're saying due to undermodulation.
Unfortunately though, the 100w stations don't seem to due a lot better at
night on 75, even with good audio. Again, just due to the nature of that
band. Does anyone run 100 watts on 160 over any distance with regular
success? Have spent little time there.

In the early evenings I sometimes get in there with my G-76 at 55 watts
> carrier. With a high average modulation, and good equalization, I 'm often
> louder (audio into receiver speaker) then the big dogs running 400 watts
> carrier...

What do you run on 40, Jim? Some nights I hear you pretty well, but Jay and
Brandon seem to be the channel masters there. And of course, Robert/VMC,
when he's on. 40m offers some great opportunities to lower power stations,
with a trade off taken into account for its fickle band conditions like
sudden drop outs.

~ Todd/KAQ