Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Nov 2 19:19:12 EDT 2013

  In my 40 or so years as a Ham, I had two antennas that did pretty well on 160m. In both instances I got out pretty good with 25 watts AM.

  The first was as a kid just out of high school (1975?) I had a 1/4 wave inverted L where the horizontal part went to the edge of a river. This was in Michigan. One December evening I worked stations coast to coast, and as far south as Texas. My transmitter was a rare Lear T30 that had four 6L6's in it with an added speech amp for a crystal Mic. It put out about 25 watts carrier, but those class Ab2 modulators really piled on a lot of audio.

  Then years later (1988?) with just a Yaesu FT-757 into a "Folded umbrella" antenna, I worked from Central Texas to Long Island, NY. I was running 25 watts AM. That Folded Umbrella was in a late 70's Ham radio magazine, and at 55' tall, with 4 radiators (one every 90 degrees) fed at the bottom, made a DC short current loop. Each element was shaped like a triangle where the tops all attached to the mast at the 40'level.On 160M it was fed at a voltage maximum. I did not use this antenna much on 160, but one evening it seemed I could be heard by anything I could copy. That same antenna on the 75m ghetto would skip under all the locals, and I could talk to my buddy back home in Michigan from Texas. It was a very low angle, and long hall antenna. I had NO radials other then a single 6' ground rod.

Jim
Wd5JKO