Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun Nov 3 08:36:26 EST 2013

________________________________

Rob,

    I have not done much on 160 since 1996 when I had a 1/2 acre lot to play with. A few years ago I did take my 80m Windom, and worked it against ground on 160. I had a good ground wave signal 15 miles away in Austin, and I worked KD6OS in Oklahoma a few times. That was on SSB, and I was running some power. With zero radials I figured that was pretty good.

   As for today's noise, I hope to believe that if I was back in the country, that the noise would be fine. Perhaps that isn't true anymore. For sure, living in a residential neighborhood, on 80M the noise is pretty high, and on 160 it's worse. I did hear Don K4KYV coming in strong last night on 1885, and I was using my 15m FW vertical loop to receive him with. That little loop does well on the AM BCB, so on 160 it hears OK. Oddly, I have a really high noise on 40m; it's not the usual impulse line noise QRN, but more of a broadband hash raising the S-meter up to about an S7. I have to go to 20M before that noise drops to S1-2.

   I heard you on 3885 last night via the online receiver at amforever.com. You were full quieting. So I tune to 3885 at the QTH, and a different AM QSO was going on there. I think I was hearing W4's east of me. I wonder where that online receiver is located? W5JAY?

Jim
Wd5JKO