Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 15:50:20 EST 2013

Hi Jim,

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Jim Candela <jcandela at prodigy.net> wrote:

> Rob,
>
>     I have not done much on 160 since 1996 when I had a 1/2 acre lot to play
> with. A few years ago I did take my 80m Windom, and worked it against ground
> on 160. I had a good ground wave signal 15 miles away in Austin, and I
> worked KD6OS in Oklahoma a few times. That was on SSB, and I was running
> some power. With zero radials I figured that was pretty good.

There's talk in broadcast circles of the ground drying out and a
reduction in ground conductivity.   I guess it depends on whether or
not a station is located in a draught area.

>    As for today's noise, I hope to believe that if I was back in the
> country, that the noise would be fine. Perhaps that isn't true anymore. For
> sure, living in a residential neighborhood, on 80M the noise is pretty high,
> and on 160 it's worse. I did hear Don K4KYV coming in strong last night on
> 1885, and I was using my 15m FW vertical loop to receive him with. That
> little loop does well on the AM BCB, so on 160 it hears OK. Oddly, I have a
> really high noise on 40m; it's not the usual impulse line noise QRN, but
> more of a broadband hash raising the S-meter up to about an S7. I have to go
> to 20M before that noise drops to S1-2.

It's every low band op's dream to live in the sticks I guess.  I'd
like to be out in the rural areas, with some space.  Yes the noise
sources are varied and in my case I have different noise pickup
antennas for each band for nulling purposes with my little MFJ noise
canceling box and ICE preamps.

>    I heard you on 3885 last night via the online receiver at amforever.com.
> You were full quieting. So I tune to 3885 at the QTH, and a different AM QSO
> was going on there. I think I was hearing W4's east of me. I wonder where
> that online receiver is located? W5JAY?

Tnx for the signal report.  I didn't even know about the amforever
receiver.  I have no idea where it is.   We did have Dan KC9RFN sign
out of our little round table last night because he said there was
another QSO on the same frequency down in Florida and he, being in
Tennessee, feared giving them QRM (the rest of us were up here in IL
Wisconsin and Indiana).  That must have been who you heard when you
listened with an antenna at your QTH.

73

Rob
K5UJ