[AMRadio] AMRadio Digest, Vol 118, Issue 10 (BC-610 on 160)

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Mon Nov 4 08:51:53 EST 2013

Don,

You got it through this time.

There is a Choke, CH4 and resistor R9 in parallel in the PA output to
the center pin of the PA Coil jackbar.

Apparently CH4 becomes an issue when that circuit resonates in the 160
band.  The solution came out in the MC-509 kit and instructions.

R9 is to be unsoldered on one end and lifted clear of the circuit.

The jumper I referred to is actually in the BC-939 Antenna Coupler.  The
BC-939 is labeled "Antenna Tuner" both on its tag and in the manual.  It
is a misnomer.  The input to the BC-939 is 50 ohm, and its output is
approximately 300 ohm.  The BC-939 is intended to feed a "short" whip or
a "long wire".

The Signal Corps meaning of "Long Wire" is not what Amateurs consider a
long wire.  In 160 use it is around 90 feet.

The Tuning Units *is* the VFO when placed in the M.O. position in lieu
of a crystal.  It "may" be stable, but is very touchy to tune.  It is
the one place that a reduction drive would have been a great addition.

You and I are probably referring to the same choke.  However, the Signal
Corps in its testing must have discovered this issue prior to releasing
the MC-509 kit.

My reference is TM 11-826, pp 43 through 48.

It also includes the modification of the BC-939 for operation below 2MC.

Bob - N0DGN