[AMRadio] IARU REGION 2 BANDPLAN

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Mon Nov 4 13:08:27 EST 2013

On 10/31/13 7:39 PM, manualman at juno.com wrote:
> And as a side note, I've been told that at least two Directors and at
> least two or three Vice-Directors are now dabbling in the AM mode, when
> they have the time to actually operate. There are also several ARRL
> staffers who are also active AM operators. Any BS that the ARRL is
> anti-AM is purely hogwash. Being anti-AM couldn't be further from the
> truth in today's amateur radio world.

Yesterday QST editor Joel W1ZR joined us for the AWA Sunday PM AM net
(that's the Sunday afternoon amplitude-modulation net on 3837 KHz) using
his Viking II, as he has been known to do.

I believe there have been periods when the League clearly had an overall
bias against amateur AM, but I'm not sure it exists now. Like any large
organization, you will find individuals with differing opinions, and I'm
sure there are some anti-AM as well as pro-AM elements existing there
most of the time, as well as others who don't pay much attention to the
mode either way. Agreed we need to be vocal as well as vigilant, but
hopefully not divisive.

I let my ARRL membership lapse in 2000 or 2001, and instead of paying
membership dues I make an annual donation to the spectrum preservation
fund, which, as I see it, is the main way the League contributes
positively to amateur radio.

73,
-Larry/NE1S