[AMRadio] "AM Ghetto"

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Fri Nov 8 10:12:07 EST 2013

There is a LOT to be said for this philosophy.

Yep, I am a General Class.  Licensed in Oct '80.  Passed Novice in June
of '80.  Spent endless hours on CW with a straight key.

Don't have one single lick of desire to go an fiddle as a satellite
control operator, nor ANY digital nonsense.

Took my test in the Atlanta FCC office.  I was proud as heck to have
done so well on the code and the written..

I can't recall all the times I've sat down and helped other hams work on
antennas, repair their tired old hollow state or hybrid rigs, and helped
them get through the code when it was still in the "game".

Now I get visited infrequently by one of these no code wonders that
hasn't a clue how to fix anything, buys an antenna cause he has no idea
in the world how to build one, and simply buys a plastic radio and goes
off doing PSK31 or some nonsense with the rig tied permanently to a
computer.

I have far better understanding of bandwidths, modes, and what is going
on inside my radios than they ever will.

I get poked at for not upgrading to Extra.  I really don't see squat for
a reason to do so.  Yes, iy would give me a wider choice of operating
frequencies.  So what?  I see getting Extra as simply putting me in with
the "Kids and Lids".

All my hollow state gear won't interface with a computer.  More likely
fry one with the BC-610s anyway.

A simplified two tier system would make a whole lot more sense to me
than this zoo that currently exists.

I'm not likely to study or memorize the test to go Extra.  I got my call
the old fashioned way!  I'm darn proud of it!

At least I can diagnose and fix my own station.  Plenty rosin snorted
here.  Even resurrecting an old HRO-50-T1.

Okay, my $0.02 worth, and take it for what it is worth!

Bob - N0DGN