[AMRadio] "AM Ghetto"

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Fri Nov 8 10:39:24 EST 2013

On 11/8/2013 7:11 AM, Steve WA1QIX wrote:
> Yes, we can go anywhere, etc. etc. etc., but sometimes reality
> suggests a different course of action.

That's perfectly said, Steve.    While AM operation is one of my
favorite modes, I unfortunately find myself frustrated by AMers while
trying to enjoy another of my favorites - HF Pack operation.    I firmly
believe that "share the band" applies to everyone,  and sometimes that
means making a choice that respects other modes and users.

Case in point is AM operation on 7295, which falls smack on top of the
long-standing HF Pack calling frequency of 7296 USB.   40 meters is a
pretty good band if you're lugging a military manpack or QRP rig to some
remote location, and being PW and battery powered with a compromise
antenna, it's a big plus to have a designated calling frequency.     The
most egregious source of frustration is an AM daytime net that fires up
on 7295 regardless (and then gripes about slopbuckets!)

I'm not trying to start a range war over the top end of 40 meters, but
only want to underscore QIX's comments.   Just because we "can" doesn't
mean we "should".   In my case, it would be a great example of
traditional ham spirit if my AM brothers were to decide to steer clear
of 7295.  Not because some band-plan says so, but because it would be a
courtesy to do so.

Spreading out the AM activity would also increase the chance of positive
exposure to new operators, in my view.  And having a little more elbow
room on either side will allow us to crank open the selectivity another
notch and sit back and enjoy that push-pull audio ;-)    But I also
appreciate having the "AM Window" where my little QRP AM contraptions
are far more likely to be heard.   Thus my vote is "both of the above".

73, Bob W9RAN