[AMRadio] "AM Ghetto"

W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 14:49:25 EST 2013

I remember once, but don't remember where it was, but I was on SSB.  I was
going to meet a friend, and asked if the freq. was in use, and some "good
ol' boy" told me it was and to hit the road.  I waited for 10 minutes and
never heard a soul.  To me, and according to the rules, it was mine to take
at that point.  I called my friend, and we proceeded to talk only to hear
the "good old boy" tell us we were interfering with a QSO.  We ignored him,
and just kept going.

Bottom line is just ignore anyone that does that sort of thing.  If you
don't, they get their "trip", and will nag you the whole time.  Just act
like you don't hear them.  Those kind of people will go and find someone
who WILL react to their stupidity.

Brian / w5ami

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Jim Wilhite <w5jo at brightok.net> wrote:

> Until the advent of digital display VFOs and frequency counters no one
> would dare go much above  7.295.  Now everyone wants to operate up there.
>  The thing is, first come, first serve.  The squabble between the 7.290 net
> and Ashtabula Bill is a case in point.
>
> The net, mostly centered in Texas, has been there for many years and so
> had Bill.  Immediately after the net control pronounced the net closed Bill
> would hit the switch and call CQ.  That led the net people to complain to
> the FCC who found Bill in compliance with all rules.
>
> So if you don't hear a signal for 2 or 3 minutes, take possession.
>
> Jim
> W5JO

"Who feeds a hungry animal feeds his own soul" - Charles Chaplin