[AMRadio] "AM Ghetto"

Steve WA1QIX wa1qix at piesky.com
Fri Nov 8 20:49:11 EST 2013

I've thought about those "no net nets"  (AKA "dead air" groups) from time
to time....

I wonder specifically if you can claim use of a frequency if you're not
actually using it.

If someone made a recording (or better still a spectral capture using a
flex or similar) with proof that there was no activity on the frequency for
some reasonable period of time - like, say, more than 10 minutes, and if
someone then used that frequency and were told the frequency is in use,
would it stand up???

There may be something in the rules about what constitutes "use", although
I cannot say that I've ever seen such a thing referenced.

I remember back about 35 years ago, old Ralph W2WME called CQ on a
frequency.  No one came back to his call.  I was just listening and doing
some such thing or another around the shack, and about 10 minutes later, I
fired up and just said "hallo" on the same frequency and one of the
regulars came back to me.  Old Ralph jumped on and claimed he was using the
frequency because he had called CQ (at least 10 minutes earlier!).  Was he
using it or wasn't he?  I'd say not.

That event was pretty funny, because for about a year after that, a whole
bunch of people went around mocking poor Ralph claiming they had called CQ
there a month ago or a year ago and were still using the frequency, etc.
etc.  every time anyone else came on.... you get the idea.  I think old
Ralph met with an untimely demise while working on a piece of
equipment...which is really too bad because Ralph was actually a good guy
and pretty interesting to talk with, and it's not the sort of thing you
wish on anyone.