[AMRadio] AM "Ghetto"

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Sat Nov 9 12:13:19 EST 2013

The licensing is such that to go from General to Exxtra you must show
proof that you had your license prior to something likr the late '80s.

I went to the FCC and obtained such proof that I was indeed licensed in
1980.  Precisely what the purpose is I don't know.

I DO know that I had to be able to copy at least 13 WPM then.  It wasn't
an issue in the least bit, as I had been running CW around 30 to 35 WPM
as a novice.  Had it not taken multiple tests to go to a higher class in
that one sitting, I most likely would have gone to Advanced right then
and there.

I am a firm believer that a two tier license methodology would be the
best way of handling things today.  Get away from this idiotic published
Q&A pool!  Get folks to learn MORE so that they are prepared to
operate.  I keep hearing those that simply sit down and take the Extra
that make it above the minimum, and EVERY one of those got their ticket
the old hard way.  They, like myself and most of those on this list got
their ticket the same way back in what some seem to call the "Dark Ages".

Oh how I wish we still did it that way!

Regarding crystals, I have a box of them for the BC-610.  I've never
stuck a single one in yet, not even for a test.

I obtained my DX-60 with an HG-10 VFO at the same time from the same seller.

My antenna farm is such that I can manage to tune +/- 15 to 25 KC with
no issue since I'm dealing with hollow state rigs and I can easily do so
without VSWR issues.  Tunable PA outputs make that easily possible.

As I have posted, I do not doubt that there are "some" folks that choose
to be rock bound.

The BC-610 has the MO position in lieu of crystal.  It has its own
method of variable tuning.  However, the MO is so darn touchy, that I
picked up an HP-3336B Frequency Synthesizer that will plug into the
Tuning Unit Xtal jack and allow me to poke in the desired frequency and
output level desired.

It cost a whopping $80 and was/is still in calibration according the
USAF cal sticker.  I've checked it with frequency counters, and it zero
beats with WWV on any of the WWV frequencies.  The most it "may" be off
is when I watch it in a counter and some six or seven digits to the
right of the MC decimal point it will flicker from all 9s to all 0s.  So
I know how close I am to a given setting.

I don't believe that anyone I talk to would have even noticed at all.
It wouldn't even drop out of someones CW filter range.

I would simply say that it is my opinion, and not a solid fact that VFOs
seem to be the norm.

My $0.02 worth, and worth all you paid for it.

It's IMHO.

Bob - N0DGN