[AMRadio] AM Operations

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 18:36:29 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM, rbethman <rbethman at comcast.net> wrote:
> Okay,
>
> Let's make an assumption that there are "some" number of Rock Bound AM Ops.
>
> 1)  The numbers really don't appear to be large.
>
> 2)  Those that are choose to be so.  Why that is I can't say.

I don't think he'll mind my mentioning him, so I'll say Bob WB9ECK is
exclusively rock bound.  Bob operates a homebrew rig, a 5762 modulated
by pair 833As.  He operates with crystals because rocks don't drift
(for AM purposes).  QSY is a snap.  unplug the xtal and plug in the
new one, tune up and there you are.  And, if you think about it, you
can probably count the common AM frequencies on 40, 75 and 160 on ten
fingers.  I think Bob may have a VFO stashed away somewhere for
emergencies but I can't say with certainty.  I've never worked him
when he wasn't using crystals.

> Even W3NB with his Gates can manage to move.  I'd expect that a commercial
> AM rig is the hardest to move in frequency.  Yet, Mike manages to to do so
> from 160 to 80 to 40.

It's a matter of how modified the broadcast rig is.

73

Rob
K5UJ