Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Nov 9 22:26:30 EST 2013

>Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 19:32:18 -0600
>From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
>To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>Subject: Re: [AMRadio] "AM Ghetto"

>When the broadcasters first went away there was a lot of AM >activity in the vicinity of 7160, a long-time popular AM >frequency. But like 3600-3700, once the novelty wore off, the >activity dwindled. Now, I still hear some stations from 5-land >during the daytime, but  rarely anything in late afternoon >or early evening. Back in the summer my AM operation was mostly on >7290 in in the early evening, and when the BC QRM wiped out that >frequency, 7285 was usually open, or else there were vacant >frequencies lower in the band.

Don,

   Running 7160 in the evenings here in Texas is pretty difficult. First the 4's starting rolling in with one way skip (dark to light) around 4 pm, and then they are stacked every 3 Khz mid evening. Later folks from all over use 7160 talking cross band to DX at the bottom end of the band. It seems that they don't even listen to 7160, but are transmitting there.

It's tough down there! A few months ago I was in a round table on 7160 on a Saturday afternoon, about 3 PM. One of the guys was PW, and as Ozona Bob used to say, "the weaker they are the longer they talk". He was referring to Rick K8MLV (SK). Anyway, a SSB QSO started up on frequency. Then comes my turn to transmit. So I did, while running more soup, I talked a good 5 minutes. After turning it over it seems about 5 sideband guys were defending their frequency now, and had the amplifiers on. We kept going while receiving on USB.

Situations like that just take all the fun out of ham radio.

Jim
WD5JKO