Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 09:56:05 EST 2013

> It's tough down there! A few months ago I was in a round table on 7160 on a Saturday afternoon, about 3 PM. One of the guys was PW, and as Ozona Bob used to say, "the weaker they are the longer they talk". He was referring to Rick K8MLV (SK). Anyway, a SSB QSO started up on frequency. Then comes my turn to transmit. So I did, while running more soup, I talked a good 5 minutes. After turning it over it seems about 5 sideband guys were defending their frequency now, and had the amplifiers on. We kept going while receiving on USB.

I don't wan't to bash low power, but this is why it's kind of nice in
the evening, if everyone in a roundtable group is running a few
hundred watts.

I was listening to a QSO last night on either 3880 or 3885, can't
remember which, and it was progressing nicely, with one op running a
HT-37, not super high power but the two stations were close enough to
have reliable copy.  I was enjoying mail reading while moving thigns
around in the shack and other chores.  Out of nowhere comes a loud
blasting digital hash that just about wiped out the HT-37.  I don't
know if it is a ham or what, but if it is a ham, these digital voice
or SSTV or whatever they are, seem to just fire up and go with no care
to the current use of a frequency, and they don't ID in an analog way,
like a CW ID now either.   I wonder if this is some kind of HF digital
D-Star or APRS automatic thing.  It is pretty outrageous.

73

Rob
K5UJ