[AMRadio] AM "Ghetto"

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 10:52:38 EST 2013

On 11/09/2013 10:33 AM, Donald Chester wrote:

>> Restructuring came in April 2000. No new Advanced, Tech Plus or Novice
>> Class licenses would be issued. Code requirements also dropped to 5 wpm.
>> Code eliminated from testing requirement February 2007.
>>
>> Pete, wa2cwa
>
> So, any Advanced licensee had to have passed the 13 wpm code test? I
> wasn't sure whether or not those changes all occurred in one sweep.

Correct, sir Don.  Before one could obtain a Technician license, they
first had to hold a Novice license, and show proof of it.
Same thing for the Technician, before they could obtain the General.

An Advanced class operator had to have passed the General written test
and (before there were such things as "Dr's waivers" for supposed
hearing disorders) the General *must* have passed the 13wpm code test.

It's easy to get confused with all the changes that the FeeCee and the
Arr(gh)L have perpetrated on the Amateur Community, if one has been
involved in it for an extended period of time.

My dad (original holder of W5OMR) got a "pinkie" for having a CW QSO on
~7.020, when he was living in Southern California, in the late 1970's.
Dad didn't pay too much attention to the 'changes' passed down by the
'Great White Father' and it's acting Shaman.  After all, dad was a
"Class A" Amateur Operator!  He HAD full privileges... or so he
thought.  Gone were the days of Class A ops, and they were 'reduced' to
'Advanced' class operators, the "new" class of license was the "EXTRA",
and only those Extras could operate in the lower 25kCs of any band segment.

To say that Dad was "miffed" about it, is a totally severe
understatement, but it wasn't enough to budge him from upgrading his
license.
Sadly, I'm not sure that he ever worked CW again, until 1984 when I got
KA5THB and wanted him to be my first licensed contact.

Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR